About Hokie Passport Services
Hokie Passport Services is committed to supporting the university's core missions by providing official university credentials and efficient access to a wide variety of innovative, effective, and secure systems and services to the vibrant, diverse Virginia Tech community and its affiliates. In support of the university's motto, Ut Prosim, Hokie Passport Services provides quality customer service and support to all members of the university community in all functions related to the official identification card. Hokie Passport Services consistently strives to seek new and enhanced technologies to meet present and future needs of the university community while continually assessing and enhancing existing services.
Hokie Passport Services reports to the Vice President for Finance & Chief Financial Officer. Hokie Passport Services provides the official identification cards and credentials that permit authorized access to university services and facilities, manages student dining accounts in university dining centers and maintains individual debit accounts for use in various vendor locations on and off campus. The department provides access and dining privileges for more than 15,000 guests involved in over 90 different conferences groups annually. The department also produces official badges for various departments.
Hokie Passport Services utilizes CBORD's CSGold system to provide online, real time transactions on a 24-hour basis for building access in residence halls and other campus locations. There are over 6,300 locations on and off campus utilizing electronic access. Over $60 million in selected dining plans are processed by the card annually. The debit function can be used in university vending machines, washers and dryers, and at approximately 100 authorized on and off-campus merchant locations. Each year, the card is utilized to validate 600,000 admissions to Recreational Sports functions, over 250,000 trips to the Math Emporium, over 70,000 visits to Schiffert Health Center and in various other ways. The ID is requested as proof of identity and entitlement for classroom testing, at the Registrar's Office, Bursar's Office, Athletics, Student Network Services, Parking Services, Blacksburg Transit, etc.
Information for Departments
Hokie Passport Services is capable of providing the following services:
- Control unlimited number of doors
- Manage propped door alarms
- Automated download files to add or remove access
- Daily files automatically generated to update student, faculty and staff records
- Access privileges granted or denied based on criteria
- Automated posting of off line transactions
- 24/7 Help Desk
- System generated reports automatically sent daily to users
- Automatic recovery, online backup and tape backup
- Proximity Reader
- Wireless Readers
- Online deactivation of ID
- Perimeter sensors and motion detectors
- Alarm notification for propped doors, etc. via email or phone
- Integrated Digital Recording Systems (DVR)
- Triggers that activate cameras
- Ticketing and voting privileges
- Biometric readers
- Stand alone locking system
- TPS allows the use of a wireless connection on-campus to view patron information and reader status, lock and unlock doors
Please contact us for more information or to discuss departmental needs.