Subscribe & download
Pylon Dedication Ceremony
Virginia Tech will add the names of six alumni to the War Memorial Pylons. Five were killed during the Vietnam War era, and the sixth died in an October training exercise.
- Tech Sgt. Peter Kraines of the Class of 2010
- Sgt. William E. Hawkins of the class of 1971
- Maj. Norman R. Hurst of the class of 1952
- Spc. Fletcher L. Lewis of the class of 1965
- Lt. j.g. William L. Sloop of the class of 1967
- 2nd Lt. Jerry W. Smith of the class of 1972
The ceremony is open to the public. During the event, the Gregory Guard, the corps precision drill team, will perform a rifle salute and buglers will play Echo Taps.
Portions of Alumni Mall and Drillfield Drive will be closed during the ceremony.
Alumni Mall will be closed between Drillfield Drive and Torgersen Bridge. The portion of Drillfield Drive that passes in front of the Pylons will be closed between Kent and Stanger streets. Authorities will be in place to help guide drivers around the closures.